Monday, November 16, 2009

Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Reaction

By Michael D. Vogt, CGCS, Amateur Fly Fisherman

Fly fishing has always been the ultimate escape from the everyday for me. No phones, no TV, no hustle and bustle, just quiet, the river and the fish. Last weekend was the first in a long time that the rivers were at a manageable stage, due to rains this year the river levels have been too high to go fishing. Last Saturday around 4:30 am I jumped out of bed, packed up my waders and assorted fishing gear and drove to my spot on the Current River, about 2½ hours from my home.


Upon my arrival I rigged my high tech graphite rod, (a 4 weight, 6½ footer) just right for those tight quarters and light trout. Waders, boots, my lucky hat and I forged a path to a secluded spot about 3 quarters of a mile from my car.

The first cast of the day I was fortunate enough to hook into a small rainbow, about six inches of picture-book beauty, a quick 5 minute fight, non-eventful release and back to casting over gin clear Current River. That fuzzy little #20 Zebra midge was a good guess for today I thought. Not too many more casts and I struck on another picture perfect rainbow, this guy was a little bigger, no record but eight or nine inches, if it weren’t winter season, catch and release, I might have kept this one!


After a one hour lull in the action I was beginning to think the peak of fishing of the day was over until I sighted a good sized rainbow holding in a small pool about 20 feet from where I was standing in the river. The trout was just holding there, waiting for food to drift by. I moved in his direction as stealthy as I could, I was now wading in water just about waist deep. I took my shot and cast that midge just upstream from him; he took a quick look but no strike! I again casted a quick shot fifteen feet upstream, this time he took the fly and for the next fifteen minutes it was this big thick rainbow and me. He spun off about twenty yards of additional line and I worked him back to me as carefully as possible. After Mr. Big Trout was tuckered out I had him alongside of me, thirteen inches of perfect rainbow trout. I reached down and released him from his bond and carefully let him swim away. This was the best catch of the year for me; a stellar day to be sure! I reeled in the line and was making my way back to the bank to celebrate with a cold beverage. Lost my footing on a slippery rock and fell, face first into the depths of the cold Current River. I lost my lucky hat, my waders filled with water and I suddenly realized my perfect fishing day was over. Cold fifty degree water poured into my waders and soaked me to the bone.

Slogging back to my car I began to thank my lucky stars that I had the opportunity to go fishing at all; even if I lost my lucky hat. I also learned a valuable lesson, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I had to make payment to the fish gods, I really didn’t do anything special to catch that fish, and in fact I was feeling pretty cocky after catching that Mr. Big Trout, so I guess I had it coming. So, I now am a firm believer in every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Life lessons come to us each and every day, I guess this was just one of those days that help to keep me grounded.

No comments: